Whenever you find yourself in the market for a new vehicle, it can be tough figuring out just where to start. Whether you're searching for a brand new car or something new to you, having your ducks in a row will help you get where you're going faster. Plus, if you use these questions to ask when buying a car, you're more likely to get a vehicle that meets your needs.
Basic Car Buying Questions
These are the questions that are always worth asking and discussing. They'll help you find out whether or not the vehicle fits your most basic needs:
- What's the vehicle's maximum seating capacity?
- How does it rank in safety ratings?
- What kind of gas mileage can I expect?
- What can I stow or tow?
Questions about Vehicle Accessories
It's a good idea to do some independent research on vehicle accessories before you visit a dealership. That way, you'll have a good idea of what types of accessories exist and which ones interest you. Bringing a list of the accessories you're interested in can help your salesperson answer these questions.
- What accessories come standard?
- What accessories come with this make's different trims?
- What accessories can easily be added?
- Can I get ________ in this vehicle? *insert whatever accessories you know you want*
Questions about Vehicle Pricing
Talking about price can be a sticky situation, but going into the conversation knowing what you need to ask will help you get the answers you need to make a smart buying decision.
- How will taxes, title, and license affect the final price?
- What interest rate can I get with this purchase?
- Can a finance agreement make this vehicle work within my budget?
- How will the loan term affect my monthly expenses?
- How will this vehicle affect insurance costs?
- How expensive is it to maintain and service this vehicle?
As far as questions to ask before buying a car, what's included here will definitely help you get started on the right path. But there are a lot more questions you can ask in order to help you get into the best vehicle for you. Check out these 25 must-ask questions. They cover car buying questions for both new and used vehicles, which includes the right questions to ask about a vehicle's previous owners and helpful hints to ensure you get the most out of your test drive.